Managing multiple meetings (hosts) on marketplace app

Hi there,

We are a marketplace that connects natural health practitioners with customers seeking their services. At the moment we are looking at enabling them to connect to each other online with a tool such as Zoom and I have a few questions I’d like to ask in order to get a clear view of how we could utilise Zoom for our purposes.

After going through a few topics in this forum I understand the best way would be for us to create an OAuth App that our practitioners would then install in their Zoom account. This would allow us to create meetings on their behalf via our web app, using the Zoom API. If we go down this route, we should be able to create meetings setting the practitioner as the host of the meeting and then using the API to invite their customer via the customer’s email address to that meeting. Is that right?

In terms of the costs involved, if we have N practitioners using our app and we create meetings setting them as hosts using the API, will we be charged N times the monthly fee per host? i.e. if the Pro plan is 13.99 EUR per month, will we be charged that amount times the number of hosts we create meetings for?

The scenario described above would be for 1:1 meetings, but we’re also entertaining the idea of using this to provide our base of practitioners that offer classes (e.g. Yoga instructors) with the ability to offer a 1:N meeting (give a class online). Would you say the Webinars product is a better fit for this scenario? or can we achieve this through Meetings as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Victor

Hey @victor2,

Correct, although Zoom does not have any invite participant endpoints except for creating registrants. If you wanted more flexibility with the invite, you’d have to use an email or contact API like SendGrid.

Yes, you will be billed per host. Plans & Pricing for Zoom One | Zoom

I would still use meetings so the instructors can see the students. With Webinar, participants are view only, they cannot show their video or speak.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey @tommy,

Thanks so much for your reply! Just a few follow up questions if you don’t mind

Correct, although Zoom does not have any invite participant endpoints except for creating registrants. If you wanted more flexibility with the invite, you’d have to use an email or contact API like SendGrid.

We were thinking of notifying the participants via email anyway sending them the Zoom meeting URL for them to join, so I think we would be covered in that sense. Just to clarify, if we were to use the Registrants API endpoint, do does registrants need to be users of our Zoom App? Or can they be just regular Zoom users?

Yes, you will be billed per host. Plans & Pricing for Zoom One | Zoom
So, even if the user we set as host is not a user of our Zoom account, but just a third party user that has installed our Zoom Marketplace App, if we create a meeting for them and set them up as the host we would be billed for that host?

As we’re a marketplace, our scenario is that we would be facilitating meeting setups for our practitioners (users of the marketplace who would have installed our Zoom Marketplace App in their personal Zoom account). We would set up these meetings for them and email the meeting URL to their customers attending the meeting, but no internal user of our Zoom account would be participating in the meeting. Does this still make it that we need to pay the monthly fee for each external user we set up as host for the meetings created through our app?

Thanks so much for your help,
Victor

Hey @victor2, happy to help! :slight_smile:

Registrants can be any user, a Zoom account is not required.

Good question, you would only need one paid account for developing the app, as your external users would be hosting the meetings via API requests that you make on their behalf.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Thanks so much for the quick reply @tommy!

1 Like

Happy to help! :slight_smile:

-Tommy