I was recently recording a lecture using Zoom for Linux. During the recording, my hard-drive filled up, and recording stopped. At the end of the lecture, before ending the meeting, I cleared space on my hard-drive, and then closed the meeting. The transcoding however FAILED to move past 0%, so I assumed I was screwed, but I found a solution as well as a bug, which I wanted to report here.
Firstly, the bug: Zoom created two files named double_click_to_convert_01.zoom and *_02.zoom. However, doubling clicking on these files does nothing. The .zoom extension has not been correctly associated with Zoom. The key files are /usr/share/mime/packages/zoom.xml (which defines the .zoom filetype) and /usr/share/applications/Zoom.desktop (which associates Zoom with various schema handlers, but NOT any file mimetypes!). To fix this bug, I had to add “;application/x-zoom” to the end of the line starting “MimeType=” in the Zoom.desktop file.
Next, the solution: after doing the above, I could double-click the *_1.zoom file, but actually nothing happened (on Linux). I copied the .zoom file into my Windows VM, and downloaded the Windows SDK for Zoom, and made use of the ztscoder.exe program that’s included in there. Note that this utility works fine with the .zoom files produced by Zoom on Linux, but FIRST you have to change the file extension from .zoom to .meetingrec. Then it works just fine. It will delete the .zoom file when transcoding is completed.
c:\Users\pye\Desktop\zoom-sdk-windows-master>ztscoder.exe “c:\Users\pye\Documents\2020-05-12 13.27.57 Meeting Name 98920956102”
I was using the second-to-latest version for the lecture when the hard drive filled up and during the first attempted transcoding (at the end of the meeting). I then updated to version 5.0.403652.0509, which is what I am running now (on Linux). On Windows 10 (inside a VM), I have the Zoom SDK, version v4.6.21666.0428.
Device (please complete the following information):
- Ubuntu 18.04, 64-bit
- Windows 10 in a VM