Missing association of .zoom files on Linux

Description
I was recently recording a lecture using Zoom for Linux. During the recording, my hard-drive filled up, and recording stopped. At the end of the lecture, before ending the meeting, I cleared space on my hard-drive, and then closed the meeting. The transcoding however FAILED to move past 0%, so I assumed I was screwed, but I found a solution as well as a bug, which I wanted to report here.

Firstly, the bug: Zoom created two files named double_click_to_convert_01.zoom and *_02.zoom. However, doubling clicking on these files does nothing. The .zoom extension has not been correctly associated with Zoom. The key files are /usr/share/mime/packages/zoom.xml (which defines the .zoom filetype) and /usr/share/applications/Zoom.desktop (which associates Zoom with various schema handlers, but NOT any file mimetypes!). To fix this bug, I had to add “;application/x-zoom” to the end of the line starting “MimeType=” in the Zoom.desktop file.

Next, the solution: after doing the above, I could double-click the *_1.zoom file, but actually nothing happened (on Linux). I copied the .zoom file into my Windows VM, and downloaded the Windows SDK for Zoom, and made use of the ztscoder.exe program that’s included in there. Note that this utility works fine with the .zoom files produced by Zoom on Linux, but FIRST you have to change the file extension from .zoom to .meetingrec. Then it works just fine. It will delete the .zoom file when transcoding is completed.

c:\Users\pye\Desktop\zoom-sdk-windows-master>ztscoder.exe “c:\Users\pye\Documents\2020-05-12 13.27.57 Meeting Name ***********”

Which version?
I was using the second-to-latest version for the lecture when the hard drive filled up and during the first attempted transcoding (at the end of the meeting). I then updated to version 5.0.403652.0509, which is what I am running now (on Linux). On Windows 10 (inside a VM), I have the Zoom SDK, version v4.6.21666.0428.

Device (please complete the following information):

• Ubuntu 18.04, 64-bit
  • Windows 10 in a VM

*This post has been edited to remove any meeting / webinar IDs

Hi jdpipem

Thanks for using Zoom SDK and thank you for the detailed explanation. It seems like you are facing issues with Zoom Linux Client, which is out of the scope of this forum. I really would like to help but I do not have any visibilities regarding the issues on the Zoom Linux Client, please contact Zoom support at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362003 and one of the Zoom experts will be happy to assist you.

Thanks!

Hi Carson – unfortuntately there is no open pathway for me to report bugs in the Zoom client (their ticket system immediately and automatically closes all requests unless they are made by organisation representatives). So I have posted here in the hope that others may find the solution.

Hi jdpipe,

Thanks for the reply. Oh, I did not know that they changed the system. Since this is out of the scope of what I am working on so I do not have the answers. I will poke around and see if I could find any useful information for you. Or see if any other forum users have the answers.

Thanks!