[Resolved with 1.7.4+] Web SDK / Web Client from browser: 403 Forbidden

I’m sorry, but this is still not good enough. We have no more detail about how and why you broke a fundamental part of the system, nor why things have not simply been rolled back to where they were. This is incompetent business continuity planning.
Communications have been atrocious. There has been no response to the support ticket, for most of the time Zoom’s status page was pretending there was no problem, then it indicated “maintenance” where in fact the problem was a key part of the system being out of order.
The suggested “solution” of having people use a desktop client was not a solution at all and there is no indication of timeline, no offer of mitigation and statements have been at best vague, at worst all over the place.
I’ll say it again, this is amateur hour.

6 Likes

@tommy et al., any timeline or update?

2 Likes

Its unfortunate Zoom turned this feature off. We are heavily reliant on the web app for machines that can’t have any third party software on them. Would be great if y’all could turn the feature back on.

1 Like

So, 14 hours after we were being told that the blatant lie on the status page would be changed to reflect the real situation, it still shows “Maintenance of Zoom’s Web Client - Resolved”.
It is quite clear to me that apart from the demonstrated utter technical and strategic incompetence we see before us, it is also impossible to believe a single word of any Zoom statement. Your communications are vacuous, lack any credibility and thus not worth a single penny.

4 Likes

moreover, the desktop app for linux is very buggy (it freezes my machine) and of course is proprietary…

As disappointing as this situation is, the response is more disappointing still. Over 24 hours in, no explanation, no ETA, and the suggested workaround amounts to “don’t use it.” For those of us who require a browser-based solution, the only workaround is to consider a different product. Sad, because until yesterday, I truly felt Zoom was the best on the market.

1 Like

Agreed, we will be leaving the platform now. We were going to buy hundreds of licenses to start to roll out our virtual events platform. This response is so hollow and discouraging. We were such strong advocates of the robustness and value of Zoom, but the last 24 hours have comprised all of that. Not just the technology, but the response from the Zoom team. What a shame.

1 Like

Agreed, we have also already taken steps to start on Monday the work to sort out an alternative platform for our clients, this sort of conduct is not acceptable. If you cannot rely on professionalism,the resilience of the platform and the integrity of the business, then there is no point!

The web client seems to be back online this morning.

Interesting, I also verified this with a normal Zoom Web Client.

However the Web SDK is still broken. Perhaps there is a new version of the Web SDK coming to address this. Still getting a 403 on the /info endpoint.

When I try to join using the web client today, it takes me to a login page and not directly to the session. So its forcing users to have a login to join. Not what we want!

1 Like

…and if you login it does take you to the session. But our students do not have individual logins.

I guess hosting a session , you will be asked to log in . Not for who are joining.

1 Like

Indeed, as a participant to a meeting even with a password or waiting room, you are required to log in now. This is not good and I’m hoping doesn’t impact the signed tokens we use to get people into meetings.

Right now this is an indication that they are trying to protect their /info endpoint from war dialing, and requiring clients are authenticated.

Now this is the weird part, with the native zoom client NOT logged in, I can join a meeting without a Zoom account.

Why the difference?

2 Likes

Yes, but I was trying to join a session and it took me to the login page.

That’s how it works for me now as well. If I try to join a running meeting from the web client in incognito mode it requires me to log in.

I don’t understand why Zoom will not communicate the changes. Of course we are going to figure it out.

Unless of course they don’t know what to do, yet, and are just doing things piecemeal.

@tommy When using the zoom.us/j/[meetindID] URL, is there any way to pass the username to the meeting like with the /wc/ or zoom app links? Our chromebook users can only use the /j/ or /wc/ links (because zoomus and zoommtg don’t work with chrombooks), and since /wc/ is down, we have no way to see the name of the person joining the meeting if they don’t enter it themselves, which they rarely do so we get lots of random names and cell phone device names appearing in the waiting room that we can’t identify without letting them in. Normally, our clients use a link we provide that includes their name and a validation code.

You can install the Android version of Zoom on Chromebooks. Works great.

So, in the middle of unprecedented times where people flock to their product, Zoom makes sudden changes, without notice, that are backwards incompatible and break a fundamental part of the product for millions.
A business that behaves in this way lacks both technological insight and competence as well as integrity.
The statement that people should use the desktop or mobile client is no different from “an offer you cannot refuse” from the maffia.
It’s easy being a reputable business when things go right. But it is at times of crisis and difficulty that a business shows whether it is honest and competent. I’m afraid Zoom has completely failed that test.

3 Likes