Share_url for recording registrant just leads to registration page

Description
How can I use the API to get a unique share_url for each recording registrant? I was expecting this to work similarly to the join join_url for webinar registrants. join_url is unique to the registrant and takes them directly the webinar. share_url is just taking me to the registration page, which would seem to defeat the purpose since they are already registered.

Error
The full error message or issue you are running into.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Which Endpoint/s?
https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings/{meetingId}/recordings/registrants (GET/POST)

Hey @chris.ota,

Once the meeting is over and the recording has finished processing, the share_url from the Create Recording Registrant API should work.

Can you please share steps to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

I have a webinar that has a processed recording, id is 91295753409. Using the “Send a Test Request” form on https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/cloud-recording/meetingrecordingregistrantcreate to send this request:

curl --request POST \
  --url https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings//recordings/registrants \
  --header 'authorization: Bearer [TOKEN REDACTED]' \
  --header 'content-type: application/json' \
  --data '{"email":"mmyemaill@mycompanydomain.com","first_name":"Samriddhi","last_name":"Harris","address":"123 Main St","city":"San Jose","country":"US","zip":"95550","state":"CA","phone":"000-444-4444","industry":"Tech","org":"IT","job_title":"DA","purchasing_time_frame":"More Than 6 Months","role_in_purchase_process":"Influencer","no_of_employees":"1-20","comments":"Welcome to the meeting recording","custom_questions":[{"title":"Favorite thing about Zoom","value":"Meet Happy"}]}'

I got this response:

{
  "id":,
  "registrant_id": "awstG8onT7G6mhvShk4Q_g",
  "share_url": "https://zoom.us/rec/share/",
  "topic": "Chris Test Webinar Recording"
}

If I take that share_url and paste it into the browser, all I get is the registration form, and not the recording. What have I done wrong?

Thanks,
Chris

Hey @chris.ota,

Thanks for the details, we are able to reproduce the issue and are working on a fix. (ZOOM-180645)

I will keep you updated here.

Thanks
Tommy

1 Like

Hey @chris.ota,

After speaking to the engineers, currently this is by design, however we have added this as a feature request to allow the share_url take you to the recording directly when using the API.

I will keep you updated on its development.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy,

We have the same exact issue, would be great to have this feature available.

Seems if the recording is set to manual approval when you create the recording registrant, then you update the registrant status using the Update Recording Registrant Status - https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/cloud-recording/meetingrecordingregistrantstatus API to “approved”, the user receives an email with the complete URL including token. But if the on-demand webinar has a password, then the user is stuck as the password in not included in the email.

Thanks,
Eric

1 Like

@tommy - Any updates on the feature request? Can you give us a timeline for the request to hit production?

Hey @e.nya, @vijay.muthu,

It is in the queue to be fixed. Once I have a timeline I will share it here.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hello,

Any updates on this issue?

I was trying to use meetings/{meetingId}/recordings/registrants to give access to users to an on-demand recording. At the moment this seems useless, because even if the user is logged in and identified with the same email, he can’t access the recording, and the share_url shows the registration form

Hey @fabio84,

Thanks for circling back on this—our team is still working on addressing this (ZOOM-180645). As soon as we have a solid timeline, we will let you know here.

Thanks,
Will

We are also having the same issue with our integration so would love to see this fixed ASAP.

Hey @chris.alner, thanks for raising the importance of this—its on our team’s radar, and we hope to address it soon.

Best,
Will

I am having this exact issue with on demand meeting recordings. I also tried this with a non-password protected meeting recording and at that point updating the registration status via API doesn’t seem to work at all. I get a successful response and an email is sent to the registrant however it still shows their registration as pending and the link in the email just requires them to register again.

Hi @raah,

Thanks for raising your experience with this here as well. We’re looking into how we can improve this, and appreciate the frustration. (ZOOM-180645)

Having said that, when you update the registration status for a user via API, are you setting this as approved? If you’re still having issues with the email that goes out having their registration reflected as pending, this could be a separate issue and I’d encourage you to create a new post with an example.

Thanks!
Will

I set it to “approve”, as that’s what the docs said.

The email sent to the registrant only provides the link, which prompts them to register again. I meant that the registration status shows as pending when I check in my account.

I can create a new post if you feel it is a separate issue.

1 Like

Hi @raah,

Thank you for clarifying—and yes, if you don’t mind creating a separate post with your example and the actual vs expected outcome, this would be helpful to ensure there isn’t anything else occurring.

Thanks!
Will

Hi together,

we also want to use the Zoom Webinar to make our full Webinar-Marketing with your product.
Now we ran into the same issue. Is there already a timeline when this will be possible to have a unique share URL per registrant?

Best Richard

Hi @transform8,

Thanks for raising this—while this is a great suggestion and it’s on our radar, I don’t have a current timeline for if/when we may implement unique share_urls. However, I will continue to advocate for this functionality!

Thanks,
Will

do you have the url to the seperate post? I would like to follow as this individual url is crucial for us - it is quite bad to let the customer enter the data again and again.

@transform8,

I’m not sure another post was created, but please follow this post for updates regarding this. (ZOOM-180645).

Thanks,
Will