Stop logging Zoom users out of their desktop app

This isn’t directly related to the developer APIs, but it has a huge effect on them.

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
We use meeting participation to drive behavior in our application to provide an in-meeting tool for our users. When a user is unauthenticated in their Zoom desktop client, we can’t detect that they are participating in a meeting based on webhooks. Unfortunately, the Zoom desktop app is very “logout happy” which means users are, unknowingly, in an unauthenticated state much more often than they realize. For example, if you try to use Zoom on two separate desktop computers, you will be logged out of one of them. Unknowingly being in this logged out state breaks our in-meeting functionality.

Describe the solution you’d like
Let users be logged in to multiple desktop clients at once.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
At the very least Webhook when a participant authenticates

12 Likes

Agreed re: issue logging users out. I had to recently create another user so I could join a meeting with my iPad in addition to my laptop so I could share my iPad screen. Previously I could do this with my same account. I was the meeting host and I needed to use the whiteboard feature and wanted to use my Apple Pencil with the whiteboard feature.

Could you set your meetings and webinars to require registration, and to only allow registrants to attend/join, restricting to a single device? This would make it to where every meeting attendee is registered (so you can perform a reverse lookup if they are not authenticated). Would this work?

If the developer creates meetings with registration required, then every participant who registers will receive a unique join_url only good for that particular person.

Using this plus setting either the meeting’s setting: meeting_authentication or enforce_login to TRUE forces users to authenticate with Zoom prior to joining the meeting (this is a solid workaround too, but may be too restrictive for certain business use cases).

Unfortunately our goal is to work with any Zoom meeting our app users create. We can recommend they make those changes for an improved UX but we don’t want to require them.

We would be very interested in learning more about the technical / business reasons why Zoom only allows a user to be logged in to a single computer of a given “type” at a time.

1 Like

Hello all. This might be the wrong place for this, but my mac zoom client logs me out constantly, even when I’m in a meeting, and not on other devices. It causes quite a lot of rework, as I often start meetings only to discover I’m no longer logged in and have to restart. Might it be my malware protection or other software that is attempting to protect me? Persistent problem now for years.

1 Like

It’s like zoom staffs are all retarded. I asked them why I can’t mute zoom on mobile devices (volume doesn’t go all the way down) and they told me to use the volume button. You asked them how to make zoom stop logging you out and they tell you to make meetings authorized user only. It’s like they don’t understand English.

6 Likes

I hate how every two days, I have to sign in again. Great. I go from class to class and I have to log in again.

What the hell? Why do we use a laggy, glitchy, terrible app like Zoom? I feel like the Devs have a room temperature (in Celsius) IQ. every time, something goes wrong. I can’t mute on mobile, it stops my video and audio when I change apps (spoiler alert: I use my tablet for a lot of things, like using a note taking app for tests, and on tests I have to keep my camera on).Honestly a better interface and less retarded app would literally be a literal potato. At least I wouldn’t have to log in again every other period. End me please.

I am sick and tired of a crap interface and logging in. Fix it.

4 Likes

I have already given up. It’s a retarded app used by retarded schools. Cisco Webex or even Skype already exist, why do we have to use this piece of crap?

1 Like

Agreed. The constant logging out is a stupid annoyance, and @bdeanindy’s post is not only not a workaround, but in fact magnifies the problem.

For a user who has to connect two devices to a call (typical classroom setup - room computer, personal laptop) with SSO and 2-factor auth (pretty much every university in the world nowadays, I think) the result is a comical juggling of devices as each logs the other out and requires another trip to the cell phone.

I’m tired of this problem and started asking our organization to move to Google Meet.

Zoom’s virtual backgroud feature was also hogging my CPU excessively, so I suggest everyone to consider moving on.

A company that ignores customers will eventually fade out. Skype is a staple example.

1 Like

I am a student and use zoom everyday of the week on my laptop while the app keeps on logging me out EVERY SINGLE TIME, i am mentally and physically tired of writing my email and password its so annoying and my teachers even won’t even let me in the class sometimes because i get late while trying to login. I don’t understand why that happens

1 Like

Still an absurd issue. I suggest anyone who is beyond annoyed by this behavior file support tickets on behalf of yourself or your company.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new