Unable to test OAUTH + event notifications ( Only users installed this app ) without publishing?

Description
We are evaluating Zoom integration options for development of a solution, mainly around monitoring certain events from the meetings. Our setup for a proof of concept (PoC) is as follows:

Zoom account: ACME (Integration company)
Type of App: OAUTH Zoom app + Event notifications enabled (Recording completed mainly)
Events listener : returns 200, public,etc.
WebApp : A clone GitHub - zoom/zoom-oauth-sample-app: Sample Zoom Oauth App NodeJS app to call Zoom's APIs

Our base case where Zoom user belongs to ACME works like a charm, we get notifications :slight_smile:

The tricky is around external users. Docs clearly states:
“Event notifications can be subscribed for either all users in the account, or only the users installed this app”.

So with the events configured as "“Only users installed this app”, should work… but cannot test due to the error for the external user who installs the app (as aparently as the app is not published yet).
Reading a bit more https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/guides/publishing/sharing-private-apps
I understand I could submit a Request to share this app, but reading the guidelines I’m certain will not be approved… why? is just the github zoom-oauth-sample to explore a “concept” (ability to receive events from external zoom users outside ACME)

So really looking for a confirmation from your side that my scenario

Given John is a external Zoom user (DOES NOT BELONG TO ACME) and he grants access to the Zoom app,
when John creates a meeting
a notification is received on our Listener

Error
You cannot authorize the app
This app cannot be installed outside of the developer’s account. Please contact the application developer to get support with installing this application.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
Type of App: OAUTH Zoom app + Event notifications enabled (Recording completed mainly)

Hey @mfarache ,

Thanks for reaching out about this, and good question.

Your flow makes sense based on what you’ve described here, and you’re correct in that in order for an external user to install your app, you will need to request a Publishable URL.

Reading a bit more https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/guides/publishing/sharing-private-apps
I understand I could submit a Request to share this app, but reading the guidelines I’m certain will not be approved… why? is just the github zoom-oauth-sample to explore a “concept” (ability to receive events from external zoom users outside ACME)

To clarify, Publishable URL requests are intended for beta testing prior to publishing your app. If you wish to test with users outside of your account for this purpose (so that you can confirm you’re getting events for external users who install your app), this should not be a problem and is the intention of these requests.

When you submit your request to share the app outside of your account, including the same kind of information you’ve shared here should suffice.

Let me know if this helps to clarify!

Best,
Will

Hi @will.zoom thanks for the feedback

The issue is that we are now in a conceptual testing stage.
So really I’m just testing with the oauth sample-app running locally plus ngrok …

If I try to request fpr a publish url I get a validation error

You are missing the following information:

• [1. Redirect URL for OAuth (Production)]

The Generate Url button is disabled.

If I click on the link, it opens the App Credentials.

There is nothing missing apparently … there is a valid grok url (works now), which is valid at the moment http://XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.ngrok.io

So kind of stuck…
My app is named MAUTEST in case that helps, and is not published of course

Thanks!

Hi @mfarache ,

When testing with a Publishable URL, this installs the production instance of your app. This means the Production Redirect URL will be required to generate this.

For testing purposes, you can pass the same dev endpoint you’re using in the Production redirect URL in order to be able to generate the Publishable URL.

Thanks,
Will

Thanks again for your patience :slight_smile: but I might be missing something.

Attached an image showing that Credential section has Redirect URL for OAuth filed

However I notice you refer to “Production Redirect URL” - is the same ?

Or maybe bearing in mind the MAUTEST app is tagged as “Intent-to-publish” - no
the concept of product Redirect url does not apply?

Maybe do I need to change the intention-to-publish to YES?

Thanks!
Mauricio

Hi @mfarache,

Ah, I see! Thanks for clarifying.

If your app is “intend to publish: no” you will only be able to test with users within your account. If you wish to test notifications for users outside of your account, you’re correct in that you will need to switch the app to “intend to publish: yes”. You can do this from the Activation tab:

Once that is set, you will be able to request a Publishable URL in order to test with external users:

Let me know if this helps to clarify! :slight_smile:

Best,
Will

I tried to “Request to share this app outside this account”

I filled the form but now i get a message saying “scope_description_required”

See attachment

I manage to do the request - i had forgotten to describe the scope admin permission i had requested …
Thanks! And now waiting for the approval :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you got it working, @mfarache! :slight_smile:

Best,
Will

After 2d I see again the “Request to share this app outside this account”

(I provided every detail you suggested, including a link to this thread ) so not sure what the image means now… Shall I expect an email or something saying whether my request was rejected?

See how the screen looks like now.

Thanks!

Hi @mfarache,

You should have received an email stating whether your request was approved or denied, with additional details. Did you receive this?

Thanks,
Will

yes it was denied, mainly because they restrict approvals for Publishable URL sharing for Apps that are not intended to be published . And we are in a loop here, I do not intend to publish a proof of concept which is just the default ouath web app you provide behind a ngrok port…

Hi @mfarache,

Do you ultimately intend to publish an app publicly on our Marketplace? Or are you trying to simply share this app outside of your account for private purposes?

Thanks,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.