Webinar host and panelists not visible to attendee when using CustomUI

Description
Webinar host and panelists not visible to attendee when using CustomUI.

Which version?
v5.2.42037.1112

To Reproduce(If applicable)

1. Start the demo application and enable CustomUI
  2. Choose Email Login and log in with Zoom account credentials
  3. Hit the Join button and enter a webinar ID for a webinar in progress with “No Registration Required”
  4. See that the host of the webinar is not visible in the meeting window
  5. Click the button for the thumbnail tab and see that the thumbnails are entirely blank

Additional context
I’m building a custom webinar experience for macOS.

Using the sample app with CustomUI turned on, after joining an attendee can’t see the host or any panelists. The thumbnails section is blank. In the code I see that the thumbnails view relies on getParticipantsList, and getParticipantsList of the ZoomSDKMeetingActionController returns nil.

If an attendee is promoted to a panelist, getParticipantsList returns correctly with a list of participants. Obviously though I’d like attendees who are not panelists to be able to view the webinar.

Am I missing something? Thanks for any help!

Hi @brainbomb, thanks for using our SDK.

This is actually expected behavior for webinars, since the same behavior is observed in the Zoom client’s UI. Attendees have limited functionality in comparison with panelists. For more information around webinars, please see our general support page.

Thanks!

Hi Jon, thanks for the response!

I wonder if I’m not being clear. I don’t need attendees to be able to share video or manage the webinar at all, I understand that attendees’ functionality is limited compared to hosts and panelists. I just need attendees to be able to watch the webinar at all.

This works fine in the official Zoom client 5.3.2. I’m attaching a screenshot of the Zoom client as an attendee to a webinar and viewing the video of the Host and one Panelist.

In the demo app, however, attendees can’t view any video from the webinar unless they are promoted to panelist. Thanks again for any help!

Hi @brainbomb, thanks for clarifying.

Apologies for misinterpreting your first post. I have successfully reproduced the behavior you are describing in a custom UI. With a default UI, it works as expected.

We will investigate this and let you know as soon as we have an update.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @brainbomb, I hope all is well.

Our latest SDK release contains a fix for this. Please try it out at your convenience and let me know if you are still experiencing any issues.

Thanks!

Hi Jon, thanks for the update!

Unfortunately the issue persists. Using the new sample app for 5.4.54528.1230 and following the “To Reproduce” steps in my original post yields the same result. The host is not visible, and no video is revealed when opening the thumbnail tab.

I notice the CHANGELOG.md mentions “Fixed an issue where webinar attendees could not view the active speaker’s video in Custom UI.” As best I can tell this is not fixed yet, but even if it were it wouldn’t quite address my issue or bring the sample app up to parity with the official Zoom client. I would like to be able to, using Custom UI, view all panelists in the webinar at once as shown in the screenshot of the official client in my above post. For this to be possible it seems to me that [[[[ZoomSDK sharedSDK] getMeetingService] getMeetingActionController] getParticipantsList] needs to return a list of panelists when the local user is an attendee. Currently it returns nil when the local user is an attendee, and only returns a list of participants when the local user is a panelist.

Again thanks for your attention to this!

Hey @brainbomb,

John is currently out, so I will be taking over this thread until he returns.

I will inform the team that this issue still persists.

Thanks!
Michael