Local, per-user/individual volume control in Zoom meetings/webinars/etc

Now that meetings are going hybrid, this feature is more needed than ever. If there are people in masks sitting 5 feet from the mic I need to boost my global volume to hear them speak at all–this obviously creates problems when you’re also on a call with people at home with mics next to their uncovered mouths. Please prioritize this feature!!

3 Likes

In the next Zoom update, I see that users can stop all video for bandwidth reasons, so please @michael.zoom, cc: @will.zoom @tommy - can we get an update on audio here? Even a “no” is better than not knowing at this point. I posted this request 19 months ago before this feature (as noted by a lot of paying users) became even more crucial as the pandemic struck.

This is one of the most viewed and responded-to requests for its timeframe.

Thank you.

2 Likes

This is why Discord is better.

3 Likes

A desperately needed feature. I am in performance-based Zoom meetings on a daily basis, some of which are 3 or 4 hours long. Some involve singing and music. This is an issue in almost every single meeting I attend to some extent. Sound can be blaring to the point of eardrum damage from one user and a whisper from another and there isn’t sufficient time to check every user (many of these are drop-in meetings, not regular). I can’t believe this is still such a significant problem when other platforms have it solved.

Please look at Discord and other major platforms that have resolved this. It needs to be something each user can control, or at least the meeting host (or on by default).

1 Like

I wish this was a feature already. Feel like everyday I’m in a meeting where there is one person who is excessively loud and then another who I can barely hear.

2 Likes

We need this feature not only because of some participants’ mic gains are too high or low, but also music group participants shouldn’t hear each other while performing/excercising in order to avoid hearing phase-delayed sound from the others. So, only the instructor should hear everybody, and all participants should be able to hear only the instructor while performing.

Moreover, the host of the call should be able to engage/disengage this “Mode” remotely for all participants.

1 Like

@michael.zoom Thank you, original poster here, do you have any very rough ETA? Can we expect this in 2021? Would really appreciate it.

I guess we’ll be waiting until 2022 for this feature. Getting a bit ridiculous at this point, especially because Zoom already isolates, for example, audio in recordings (you can get separate audio files for each speaker) - and the change is really something that can be done locally. Zoom has the architecture to do so, there’s clearly drive and this is one of the most requested features on here, so I’m a bit perplexed on what makes this so hard. It would be a local change, so it’s akin to changing the volume of the application (not on the server-side).

Surprised this feature is taking so long to implement, must require really cutting edge development techniques!

1 Like

Any updates? or is there a feature request somewhere we can up vote?

any news here? it’s freaking shit in 2022 don’t have personal volume control (

1 Like

Yeah, pretty crazy - considering that Zoom already outputs individual audio recording files as an option for each speaker - should be very easy to do locally with no resource processing on Zoom’s end.

@tommy @michael.zoom Original poster here. As you can see, many want this feature. But I think at this point we would all appreciate it if you guys can just tell us if you have any plan to implement this solution so we can make a decision as to whether Zoom may be a viable solution in the long term, especially as new products emerge. A bit of honesty would be appreciated, hope that is not much to ask. Cheers & thanks.

(post deleted by author)

It is unbelievable this isn’t a feature yet, frankly unforgivable. This is crucial for us in our professional use of this software, to compensate for wildly different volumes. If this isn’t implemented, we will be forced to use a competitors’ software that already offers this basic functionality.

1 Like

Please please please. We have somebody we commonly Zoom with, but that doesn’t realise their mic is quiet. We’ve addressed it a couple of times on a call, but then it goes back to quiet again on another call unknown to them. It’s embarrassing for them for us to repeatedly ask them to fix their audio setup when if we could just boost them ourselves the problem would go away.

1 Like

… still working on it?

1 Like

+1 This feature has been needed for a long time. Discord has had this feature for years.

1 Like

At this point, I just want to know if this is even something Zoom cares about (clearly not).

No one believes that you are working on it.

1 Like