NewTek NDI Input & Output

With a worldwide shortage of webcams, this is an essential add using NDI Virtual Input to feed zoom a webcam - but NDI Virtual Input does not show in the Video source drop down for Zoom on OSX 10.15.4 w. Zoom 5.0.3 (24978.0517). Our entire organization moved away from Teams/Skype to Zoom for user familiarity but I wish I hadn’t chosen Zoom because now I’m stuck with no camera. Esp. since NDI has made their apps free for 60 days per: https://www.newtek.com/press-releases/ndi-cares/

2 Likes

+1 Need this feature in Zoom! NDI is the future.

3 Likes

We would love to see this, as we are currently using NDI with Skype - it works very well.

2 Likes

Hi scott
Please how many feed you can have in NDI separate from skype “conference”
Thanks
David

2 Likes

This is critical for my use. I had to downgrade my Zoom version in order for it to work… and if 5.0 doesn’t support it, I’ll be closing my paid account and switching over to Skype.

3 Likes

Yes please! NDI support would make Zoom amazing. I wouldn’t mind paying for an upgraded account to get this functionality, and I’m sure a most people here would agree to that.
Cheers!

3 Likes

+1 for this feature, I’m in development of a virtual performance and am relegated to Skype due to the NDI feature, would love to be able to bring it back to Zoom. Currently on a Pro plan, but it appears that the NDI beta requires the Business plan, which is beyond our (charitable) organization’s scope.

3 Likes

If you use OBS.Ninja (https://obs.ninja), you can send your zoom guests invite links and pull them into vmix or OBS at super high video quality. It’s free.

5 Likes

Can you elaborate on this a bit more?

3 Likes

So if the objective is to pull Isolated feeds of guests in a conference room call, you can sometimes get away with NDI output, but sync issues, limited video quality, and availability of NDI isn’t always there.

If the goal is to import an ISO feed into an application like Vmix, OBS, ManyCam, or one of many other broadcast production apps, there is a free web-based application called OBS Ninja that lets you do that without any downloads, it’s 100% free, and it generally offers the best low-latency video quality possible.

It’s like a browser-based version of NDI and it’s goal is to pretty much just pull remote feeds into video production software. It has a lot of advanced features, like 40mbps video bitrates, stereo audio, etc.

The challenge I’d see is that you’d need to ensure the Zoom participant can share their webcam with more than just Zoom. Sometimes there may be a conflict with the webcam being “already in use” by Zoom. There are numerous ways around this, but it’s the main challenge I suppose.

You could also perhaps create a show outside of Zoom with a few key speakers, and then broadcast the show into Zoom for a large audience to see in real-time. I have a detailed guide on how to do this with Zoom, if interested.

4 Likes

I would love to check out your detailed guide!

I watched one of your videos and looked through the subreddit, but couldn’t find any details on our specific use case?

Essentially, we want to use Zoom as our “communications” channel (a place where everyone can communicate), but we want to separate out the individual feeds for a few of the participants for use in a downstream system.

Since Zoom currently lacks NDI support, the workaround was going to be moving to Skype, but as an overall application we like it much less than Zoom.

3 Likes

I would like to see your guide too please! I’m working on a complicated facilitated workshop and struggling to figure out how to get multiple feeds (including 2-way audio) into this platform. Would welcome whatever support you can share.

3 Likes

@hi-tech-nyc @stegoodwin Here’s a link to a write up; it may seem a bit complicated for those not familiar with OBS, but once setup it’s quite easy to reuse.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSDPs--Oxjc7Omu2gPTrMzmZDrduaYs18kMtvB_HAXRaEBPtlGjVgMXMzvOoLMCtldfFtJzHAZVYHXS/pub

4 Likes

Excellent. Thank you for sharing.

Best,

Stephanie

3 Likes

Chiming in to voice my support for NDI support added to Zoom once the 90 day plan is completed. When you do add support, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have discrete audio. Skype bundles all audio and it is infuriating!

We are a university cinema who is fully virtual during the pandemic. With remote guests for virtual screenings twice a week, NDI output support (with discrete audio) would be a game changer!!!

Thank you Zoom team for your hard work!!!

3 Likes

Another upvote for NDI support.
In my case, I’d the host’s client to output it’s view, either gallery or single, as NDI rather than individual participants.

3 Likes
  • one to add this feature
3 Likes

another upvote – please!

3 Likes

Yes NDI with individual audio AND if they share their screen would be great!!

3 Likes

Upvote — NDI output would be so helpful :smiley:

4 Likes