Option to disable "You are muted now." Pop-up

The “You are muted now…” pop-up gets in the way of my screen and it’s so annoying. I bet a lot of other people can relate.

For example, if you are trying to play music and you need to look at the notes, the system will think you are trying to talk and now you can’t see the notes.

Or, when you’re supposed to look at someone on the meeting but you type a little too loud or someone in the background near you makes a slightly loud noise, the pop-up will show and block you.

I’m also always frustrated when I’m trying to play Roblox in a zoom meeting with my friends and the pop-up just blocks my cursor from moving and I end up having to rejoin.

There are more reasons why I hate it but this would be too long if I typed it down.

You should really add a feature in settings to disable all pop-ups or just one at a time.

Another way is to just disable it entirely.

16 Likes

When trying to build a user-friendly experience, developers should really be careful to not to fall into the pit of treating all their users as incapable.

Zoom: “You are talking but muted now”.
Me: Thank you dear computer software. I am so stupid to unmute myself everytime I address my attendee and I do need your constant reminders. You cannot differentiate music and keyboard sounds and general environment noise and actual real speech. But still, we need your annoying, pesky, cannot-be-turned-off messages. Because you’re so much smarter than me. Thank you. What would I do without you?

Zoom: “The host has spotlighted you, would you like to unmute yourself?”
Me: Thank you dear computer software. I didn’t realize that I’m spotlighted. I AM THE HOST, btw, but still I am so stupid that I didn’t notice that I spotlighted myself and I didn’t know that I am mute. Also my fellow participants are also so, so stupid that they never ever warn me that I am mute. They just watch me play silent movie for an hour or so. What would we do without you, thanks buddy, cheers…

I could go on but hey, we all know that nobody from Zoom read these posts anyway. Even if they accidentally stumble upon on a post, they don’t care. Not this forum, not their support channel, not the feedback page, not their e-mails, no nothing :confused:

6 Likes

I work in close quarters with others who are also talking in web conferences. The muting message pops up way too much and regularly obscures what I need to see on my screen. There needs to be an option to disable it.

8 Likes

I mute to be polite to other coworkers on the Zoom call so they can hear without my background noise, but the message gets in the way and prevents me from seeing shared screens. Coworkers are sharing code, so I need to be able to see it, obviously. The pop-up never helps, and it hinders me from doing my job.

4 Likes

It’s been a year now, can we disable this pop-up please?

5 Likes

Zoom developers, can you please, please add an option for us to disable this pop-up? For me, I use Zoom for church meetings where we are all singing but only one person has their sound on so it isn’t a cacophony. I don’t think I have ever accidentally left myself on mute when I intended to be audible, in two years of using Zoom. Maybe if the pop-up was only visible for a second or less it wouldn’t be so disruptive, but as it is it decreases the value of Zoom.

2 Likes

When studying sign language on zoom this feature is highly anoying as we are all muted and communicate with visual language rather than aural. The spotlight feature is great but this annoying popup gets in the way.

2 Likes

I concur with ALL the above (plus plenty MORE reasons this pop-up is “work-flow inhibitive”, let alone frequently downright DESTRUCTIVE to recorded content, ESPEcially when needed for later reference).
This topic (it appears) has been here for over a year, & is one of the most viewed issues in the list: So what’s the point of a “developer forum” (or ANY place that Zoom provides) for “suggested ideas” for product updates if these “user-pleadings” are just ignored??
ZOOM STAFF: Take note: there are many pleadings here for this problem to be rectified, & number of views for this topic suggest a large customer-base of yours agrees = Please don’t ignore.

2 Likes

Please, add something. I don’t care if it’s an option to disable or not, but whenever I’m sharing a screen with audio it should be obvious that I want to stay muted. So don’t popup something that then interferes with the entire view and won’t go away! This needs to be a priority, it affects every meeting I’m on and is really starting to get on my nerves.

2 Likes

I’m shocked this isn’t an option.

On top of everything mentioned here, I get flashed when other people are speaking in the same meeting.

Typing, speaking, other people speaking, moving my chair… basically any time I’m doing work I have this notification constantly hurting my focus.

@pikonferans hit the nail on the head. I mean, I mute myself and 0.02 seconds later it will tell me I’m muted. Yes, I just pressed that button. How insulting.

pls fix

2 Likes

I BEG for a way to disable this pop-up.

When I an typing notes about the meeting, the pop-up steals focus messing up my notes, also making me fall behind in note taking. All to often it steals focus near where I hit ‘enter’ to write a new line. Since ‘enter’ on the popup enables the microphone, my typing loudly interrupts the current speaker.

Extra fun when I have to apologize, get the focus on the right screen, re-mute and then try to catch up on my note taking.

2 Likes

I use Zoom’s ‘mute’ function precisely so that my loud environment does not interrupt meetings.

I am sure this situation is more likely than a user needing to be reminded that they are muted.

In my case, for the last two years, every truck driving by has interrupted my work with the “you are muted” message unstoppably blocking the center part of my screen for several seconds.

Devs, please save me and the many others whose productivity is being robbed by this message. Give us a way to disable it.

2 Likes

Pleeeese Zoom. Fix this mess.

1 Like

I am using zoom now in a coding bootcamp. We(the class of about 40 people) are to remain muted for the entire class session unless addressed by the instructor, so we are basically muted all day while coding. When I am coding, I often will let out a big “sigh” in the midst of my most difficult problems, where the audible sigh triggers this “you are muted now” warning message to pop up over the very difficult problem I am trying to solve. I just hunted for the ability to turn this off in the settings, and then discovered this thread. Look zoom devs, I get it, you’ve built this awesome thing, and here come users complaining about a little detail. I also get why this feature exists, and I’ve been in meetings with people who NEED it (for whatever reason they cannot manage keeping track of how muted or un-muted they are). But can you give us more affluent zoom users who are capable of knowing their mute status or not the ability to disable this counterproductive eyes sore error message overlaying the screen?

1 Like

Is there anyupdate on this? We have been annoyed by this for a long time.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us an option to disable this “You are muted” pop up. This is a terrible UI experience.

1 Like

I see I’m not the only one who finds this to be a problem. I’m growing increasingly annoyed with this as I’m on Zoom calls all day long. This needs to be an option!

This issue is bad for me and my team. Plz fix.

2 years and Zoom has yet to fix the issue

Found this thread while waiting for someone to join my meeting. I’m on the fourth pop up in a noisy environment. This is crazy. Please give the option to remove this. Not sure how I’m suppose to work while repeatedly making the popup go away.

2 Likes