Occasionally See Black Screen When Sharing Desktop

Description
For some of our meetings we have been seeing reports from users that when they share their screens, the viewers can only see a black screen with a green outline rather than a view of the presenter’s screen. We saw this in meetings on the 24th and 25th specifically though we are continuing to hear of users encountering a black screen when presenting.

It seems to impact Chrome 80 on Windows Enterprise (though this could just be because most of our traffic comes from Chrome on Windows). The computers in question have integrated graphics and do not have nVidia. We have been in meetings where we could see the error but have been unable to reproduce the error in a reliable way. We have not seen any errors in the console. It does not seem to be caused by VPN since we have seen the issue on machines that are not using a VPN.

Has anyone seen this kind of issue before? Are there any areas we should start to look at to try to troubleshoot & diagnose the problem? Are there any common issues that could cause this type of behavior (apart from the graphics card that seems to be the problem)?

Which version?
We are using the web sdk version 1.7.2

2 Likes

Hi @erichhansen,

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the black screens and also the meeting IDs. We can use this to help investigate the issue and perhaps release a hotfix for this issue.

Thanks

Thanks @michael_p.zoom. A couple meeting ids are 291978774 and 647952270. I’ll look and see if I can find more meetings and screenshots.

Hey @erichhansen,

Please let us know if this issue persists and if you can get screenshots of the issue.

Thanks,
Tommy

I simulated this issue in the attached screenshot - the host on the left is sharing the entire screen, the right is a Windows VM with Chrome 80 that can only see a black screen. Note: the meeting date in the screenshot is the date the test meeting was originally scheduled, the screenshot is actually from 3/26.

Hey @erichhansen,

Can you try serving your site over https? You could use ngrok.com to easily do this for free in a local dev environment.

Related post:

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy I am using HTTPs with a self-signed cert locally in the screenshot. In production we are using https with a proper certificate.

Hey @erichhansen,

And the blank screen is also happening in your production environment?

-Tommy

Correct. It’s a bit hard to get screenshots from production as we work in the medical space and have to protect PHI. The behavior in production is similar to what I posted from my local dev environment.

Hey @erichhansen,

Thanks for the details, we are looking into the issue and will get back to you. (CS-1587)

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hi @tommy,

I’m having this issue as well. Tested on multiple machines and we’re serving over https also.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update @tommy!

1 Like

Thanks @adrian,

We are looking into the issue and will get back to you! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your patience,
-Tommy

2 Likes

Hello. We had exactly the same issue. I reported this to Zoom on February 10th. It turned out to be a bug in the Zoom Web SDK and was specific to IE. For our site, I just determined if the user was IE and sent them down the normal zoom.us/j route. I’ve received updates from Zoom a couple of times that it has been fixed but each time the issue remained.so I just gave up and left my workaround in place.

1 Like

Hey @rayjbell, that is a good solution, thanks for sharing!

That being said, please see this update about the Web SDK:

We are working to get the Zoom Web Client and Zoom Web SDK back online. Please keep up with our status page for detailed updates: status.zoom.us

The best workaround is to use the Zoom Desktop / Mobile app.

Just include the Zoom meeting join url (https://zoom.us/j/meetingID) on your site rather than showing the websdk / iframe. Clicking on the join url will open the Zoom meeting in the Zoom app.

Apologies for the inconvenience,
Tommy

Just found this discussion today. I am using Zoom in a health care setting for remote training, and encountered this sharing issue Monday 4/20 and Tuesday, 4/21. I don’t have screen shots, but attendees got a black screen with “Name” is sharing his screen. Having an attendee share, then taking back screen sharing sometimes resolved this issue.

Meeting IDs were Meeting ID: 871 8195 1620 and Meeting ID: 831 0845 3216. I was using a Dell Latitude 340 with integrated UHD 320 graphics. No dedicated graphics card.

I encountered this issue during a meeting on 4/22, after I installed the newest update. I am using Zoom for education, for remote teaching.

I have an integrated UHD 360 graphics

I supervise training on Zoom.
One of the personn in a session have this issue right now : she is seeing a black screen instead of a share screen with green contour.
She is having a session on Chrome, with a Windows PC; this is all I know.

Hey @wenn, @schmitz, @mikegw59, @erichhansen,

Upgrading to version 1.7.6 should fix the issue.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks for the update @tommy. We had some trouble upgrading to 1.7.6, we saw the same issue from Invalid parameter - webSDK 1.7.6. But it seems like that should be fixed in an upcoming 1.7.7 release? Any update on when 1.7.7 will be available?